[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/mega/pbj/event/main.php on line 80: implode(): Invalid arguments passed
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/mega/pbj/event/main.php on line 81: implode(): Invalid arguments passed
Build Off: Custom copter - Page 4 - Community

Build Off: Custom copter

Tips & Tricks
jonnyfiyve wrote:Built mine today. Debating if I should paint it.
Paint it. Or not.

Jason-101 wrote:
jonnyfiyve wrote:Built mine today. Debating if I should paint it.
Paint it. Or not.
To me painting an entire model strikes me as being a bit extreme and definitely wasteful. In the Mega Bloks world some particular colors and block shapes are pretty darn scarce and therefore quite valuable. Painting the outer surface of your model prevents you from ever recycling those bricks in future builds. Now I'm not against color matching an occasional block shape I need which is unobtainable in the correct color (My recent Prime Mover IV build in the gallery features a custom windshield assembly and doors which I've color match painted portions of to the best of my ability)... But an entire model, never.

Happy Trails!
MTB Vince

VinceHoffman wrote:To me painting an entire model strikes me as being a bit extreme and definitely wasteful. In the Mega Bloks world some particular colors and block shapes are pretty darn scarce and therefore quite valuable. Painting the outer surface of your model prevents you from ever recycling those bricks in future builds.
I use any color for my models. Grab whatever works. Painting the outer surface does not prevent you from recycling bricks. I have done it many times.

My Tread Runner build had a custom paint job. Those pieces have already been reused.

jonnyfiyve wrote:
VinceHoffman wrote:To me painting an entire model strikes me as being a bit extreme and definitely wasteful. In the Mega Bloks world some particular colors and block shapes are pretty darn scarce and therefore quite valuable. Painting the outer surface of your model prevents you from ever recycling those bricks in future builds.
I use any color for my models. Grab whatever works. Painting the outer surface does not prevent you from recycling bricks. I have done it many times.

My Tread Runner build had a custom paint job. Those pieces have already been reused.
True J5, if you ever really need a certain one brick that's been painted. Just throw it in some thinner. And re-use. Easy.

J5 Rocks in airbrushing.

somebody submit their project it's driving me crazy and i wouldn't mind seeing a couple CoD helis nothing against halo i'm just a CoD fan and CoD helis don't have a better chance of winning

jackdawg444 wrote:somebody submit their project it's driving me crazy and i wouldn't mind seeing a couple CoD helis nothing against halo i'm just a CoD fan and CoD helis don't have a better chance of winning
Mine is coming, painted and photographed it yesterday. Just need to put the photos together.
As usual, I tried something different. Not sure it's the style you like but I think it looks pretty bad***

Been having a hard time keeping up with all the challenges going on. The community is on fire, so much participation.
Keep your eyes peeled I'll be uploading two projects today. One isn't a heli but might be interesting to any wrestling fans.

jonnyfiyve wrote:
jackdawg444 wrote:somebody submit their project it's driving me crazy and i wouldn't mind seeing a couple CoD helis nothing against halo i'm just a CoD fan and CoD helis don't have a better chance of winning
Mine is coming, painted and photographed it yesterday. Just need to put the photos together.
As usual, I tried something different. Not sure it's the style you like but I think it looks pretty bad***

Been having a hard time keeping up with all the challenges going on. The community is on fire, so much participation.
Keep your eyes peeled I'll be uploading two projects today. One isn't a heli but might be interesting to any wrestling fans.
Right on. I'm gonna have a submission soon also. I have a little bit left. Then to build the scene. I've got two Copters coming. Maybe a 3rd. BooYaa.!

So just a recap, the build needs to have two propeller things to qualify as a copter?

jonnyfiyve wrote:

Hey Jonny5 et al,

My 8 year old son and his more responsible buddies play with the Halo builds I create, so any custom paint work I need to do in order create a color match of a specific part has to be durable. The custom painted parts I create, just like the custom minifigs and minifig weapons all have three thinned coats of Vallejo or Tamiya acrylic paint followed by three coats of thinned matte or gloss Humbrol enamel clear coat. When I decide to paint something I consider it a permanent thing as thoroughly removing the multi-step paint and protective clear coat would be time consuming and very difficult to impossible.

Happy Trails!
MTB Vince

VinceHoffman wrote:
Hey Jonny5 et al,

My 8 year old son and his more responsible buddies play with the Halo builds I create, so any custom paint work I need to do in order create a color match of a specific part has to be durable. The custom painted parts I create, just like the custom minifigs and minifig weapons all have three thinned coats of Vallejo or Tamiya acrylic paint followed by three coats of thinned matte or gloss Humbrol enamel clear coat. When I decide to paint something I consider it a permanent thing as thoroughly removing the multi-step paint and protective clear coat would be time consuming and very difficult to impossible.

Happy Trails!
MTB Vince
To each his own.
I say whatever works for you. To me it's all about creating something you are happy with.

I personally welcome and accept all kinds of creations. All of us will have different styles and preferences.
At the end of the day I hope we can all appreciate each others works and the process we took the get there.

Return to “Custom builds & Modifications”