[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/mega/pbj/event/main.php on line 80: implode(): Invalid arguments passed
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/mega/pbj/event/main.php on line 81: implode(): Invalid arguments passed
Same price, Less Pieces. - Page 2 - Community

Same price, Less Pieces.

Got a question? Ask it here!
It'd still be nice if they released packs of blocks (as rumoured at one point) and terrain pieces though.

NatoGreavesy wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:46 am
NaughtyDanny wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:21 am
Mega Bloks its a Brick Building Sistem Toy, not just Figures. Without Bricks to build, the concept disappears.
If that's your mindset, then, quite simply, you're just buying the wrong types of sets. The CoD and Halo troop packs are specifically for massing large quantities of figures, the inclusion of terrain is just a courtesy. If you look back through a lot of classic Mega lines, they used to release their figure packs without any terrain or baseplates or stands. In addition, the CoD, Destiny, and Halo lines are actually marketed as "Collector" lines, not as "building toys". Brick-building isn't the core concept of these sets at all, they're all about the figures.

If you're looking for bricks/terrain, then you should be buying the larger, more expensive sets, with the bigger, more complex builds... not figure packs. Things like the Call of Duty dome, and the Halo Firebase are great for this, and can often be found at half price or better at a lot of online retailers.
Unfortunately both of those sets are a few years old, and there aren't many intermediate options. Smaller, more scenery-focused massable sets would really help shore up some of the gaps.

I too was initially disappointed at the decreased quantity of stuff you get in MCX sets. But then thinking back, pre-2013, you had the reverse issue: tons of content, VERY poor quality. Go back to the Dragons or even Planetoids lines: tons of figures, huge structures, extremely cheap pricing. But I can't even count the number of broken hands, hips, flag posts, or the frustration of pushing a piece in on one side and having the entire building explode on the other.

Like others have mentioned, the piece quality for the higher end lines is continually increasing. My mind was blown when I saw rubber KNEE PADS included on COD figures ... with micro-details! To be fair, even I think that's a bit extreme. :D

But I do like the increased customizability of figures, with removable boots and hats (in the COD line). If only they could standardize the head joint (please not the ugly T-joint). I really like the small peg system they use on the Probuilder helmets and hair.

There is a middle ground to be found here. I really think if MCX improve their marketing and distribution, their products can speak for themselves. Imo, the build complexity, quality, and cooler figures could allow them to eclipse the leading brick brand in certain niche markets, and especially among older builders/collectors.

To me Mega Bloks has been lower price, good quality and generous piece count for the longest time; it's only now that I feel their prices have finally caught up to how brilliant their products are. Of course Mega Construx of now seems expensive compared to Mega Bloks two years ago; but it's still nowhere the premium the L folks charge!

I would agree with you that Mega is quite expensive, especially when you are looking to build MOCs. The upside of it being expensive is that you get what you pay for - which is a top-quality set with well detailed figures and weapons, so I guess you could say that I think its a good and bad thing.

I mentioned this in a post before, if you want brick building look outside the lines of CoD and Halo. American girl and Monster high sets have great pieces for MoCs. Yeah you might get 2 figures that are not in the lines you collect but the pieces and buildings are in those sets. Take a look through my gallery posts, people ask where I get all my pieces and its because sets like the American girl and Monster high were buildings. Sadly I guess not enough bought monster high sets as they have all vanished. The American Girl sets have pretty cool buildings in them. If you want troop packs, then buy troop packs, if you want buildings then buy buildings. Frankly the probuilder viking ship has a lot of brown plates but don't expect to build much besides a ship.

I really do wish they would release more free form sets like the buckets they used too back when my brother collected them. I would love to see a return of the dragons series but the walls would be complained about quality wise now days. I do not mind them though I can build an entire city in hours with them. The few free form sets I got from dollar general, the piece selection was not very building oriented. If you can get lucky and get the true heroes at TRU before they are gone for good they also had a lot of pieces for buildings and backgrounds. Just be careful the castle series of true heroes was not mega.

I agree with a lot of points here. Mega has improved greatly in quality at the cost of substance. Now ill only talk about figure packs since that is the topic of the post and surprisingly this distinct change is not present in the more build oriented sets (Give or take my 1 grip with figs and the Infinity) I have done a on site review of both the modern ONI troop pack comparing it too the 2014 Sierra troop pack. The differences are quite insulting and the only improvements from 2014 to 2018 that are noticeable is the lack of faulty for arms. At the same time I will take in the cost of inflation and assume that these sets simple cost a tad bit more to make and those the amount of stuff we get in these sets are reduced.

Everyone I know can agree that the troop packs of 2014 were the height of mega bloks now construx troop packs. That was when the huge quality in parts change came along with the super possible figs with mattels acquisition of mega brands inc. before hand as with say the older halo troop packs they were 4 figures with a simple stand for display purposes. With say the Dragons Universe troop pack I literally just review on here they gave out 5 figs with weapons and nothing else was included in the set. Going farther back with the dragons troop packs and why not plasma dragons and pyrates lines as well. They were 3 figures with weapons and that was it. From about 2010 to 2013 we saw it go from 3 to 5 to 4 with a stand.. 2014 saw 5 with a reasonably large build for a set that was designed specifically for troops. and 2015 onward it has been 4 figures with smaller builds till about now where its almost just 4 figures again. My solution is not what your going to want to hear but its what I see happening eventually.

Troop packs will cost 20$ i would have prefeared this in 2015 over dropping a figure and the build over time. Wile its not what everyone would want this is what i would prefear to happen over say following the trend we are currently in. Now this dose to an extent loop back into build sets as they are essential to the long term success and desire of troop packs. You buy troop packs to army build figures for presumably a side so you can have a base for them to protect and rally around with veheicals ect.

So you can be disapointed with the way the troop packs are going, so am I. But let me say something as well. quality is important, REALLY IMPORTANT and this is why i never had a issue with the troop packs of 2015 to 2017. But come on we dont get back packs anymore, we get giant stupid looking turrets that the figures cant even use relistically and the parts count is diminishing. I want either pure troop packs, for the current price that matches almost the same quality concept of the most recent marine troop pack. Good figures some extra guns and back packs nothing else. Or i want to see the above raise in price to allow more room for a larger more compentent and worthy build for the sets.

Return to “Ask Mega Construx”