[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/mega/pbj/event/main.php on line 80: implode(): Invalid arguments passed
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/mega/pbj/event/main.php on line 81: implode(): Invalid arguments passed
New Comic Idea - Community

New Comic Idea

Tell your own story!
Hey Guys! Ceta here, and im thinking about starting a comic. It’ll be about my merc Rex and how he left the UNSC to be a merceanry. Should i start it or no?

I have always said if you start a comic and plan to go all the way through it to be sure its what you want to do. There is a ton of work into putting on a long term comic, and it can be really hard to find time to keep it going once it is started. If you have the passion for it then do it, but if you are doing it for anyone but yourself rethink the idea of doing it. Many times even if you get a lot of views you might get 4-6 likes and no comments. While disheartening, people are not always going to comment on everything you post. That is why I feel its important that you do any comic for yourself first and foremost.

LishaThorne wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:48 am
I have always said if you start a comic and plan to go all the way through it to be sure its what you want to do. There is a ton of work into putting on a long term comic, and it can be really hard to find time to keep it going once it is started. If you have the passion for it then do it, but if you are doing it for anyone but yourself rethink the idea of doing it. Many times even if you get a lot of views you might get 4-6 likes and no comments. While disheartening, people are not always going to comment on everything you post. That is why I feel its important that you do any comic for yourself first and foremost.
OK! Thanks Lisha!! I’ll try. Thanks for the tips.!

If you wanna start a comic, go for it! If for any reason you need to stop for a while or even for good, we'll all understand. That's all I've got to say, Lisha covered the rest.

Rule #1
Don't do a comic for other people, do it for yourself. If you do a comic for other people, you will get sick of it and have no emotional attachment to the stories. Although you may start out doing for yourself, you might eventually feel bored with it but feel bad about stopping. However, I'm not trying to put you off doing a comic.

Rule #2
Make sure you have your plot figured out from start to finish. I would suggest typing it up word-for-word on your laptop/tablet/phone, tweak it until you are completely happy. If you really want to, you can also cross-reference with other comics to make sure your one will stand out.

Rule #3
Have a look at your camera. If it is not good quality, then your comic won't look as good or stand out from others. Looking at your previous pictures, it seems as though you'll be fine in terms of pictures.

Rule #4
Get a decent editing application for your laptop. I can't emphasise how important it is to have the superior dexterity of a mouse compared to a touchpad, which for me, is far more challenging to use than a laptop. In terms of the actual application, I would suggest getting something good-quality, which usually means expensive. However there are free options available that are good quality, but it really doesn't matter what you use so long as it can create high-quality content. One more tip for editing is to practice with the basics before beginning. So speech-bubbles, muzzle-flashes, ect.

Rule #5
Make sure to be yourself and have fun.

Hope this helps.

My thing is make sure you can read the speech. I hate it when I can't read mine or others comics. Also try to use good grammar and spelling. A few mess ups happen now and then, it happens. But it just makes you look more intelligent.

Also have fun! I had fun with BFTP until it hit Season 3. Then I really screwed with the story, and don't really know what to do with it. I'll probably have to end it altogether soon. Don't make my mistakes!!

I agree with most of what's been said here, although I personally disagree somewhat with Charlie's point:
charliebucket wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:42 pm
Rule #2
Make sure you have your plot figured out from start to finish.
Personally, I tend to only have the broad strokes planned out, and figured things out chapter-by-chapter. I might come with new ideas or characters as I'm going long, so I like to leave room for adjustments. For example, if a particular character proves to un/popular with readers, then I might increase or decrease their role in future chapters, and so on.

At the end of the day, everyone has their own creative process. Some people plan things out, some make things up as they go along, and some of us are somewhere in-between. You've just got to figure out what works for you.

NatoGreavesy wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:16 pm
I agree with most of what's been said here, although I personally disagree somewhat with Charlie's point:
charliebucket wrote:
Rule #2
Personally, I tend to only have the broad strokes planned out, and figured things out chapter-by-chapter. I might come with new ideas or characters as I'm going long, so I like to leave room for adjustments. For example, if a particular character proves to un/popular with readers, then I might increase or decrease their role in future chapters, and so on.

At the end of the day, everyone has their own creative process. Some people plan things out, some make things up as they go along, and some of us are somewhere in-between. You've just got to figure out what works for you.
This works well for me, too. You know, Winters was initially supposed to be a 3 part mini-comic! Then I realized what I had the chance to create...

charliebucket wrote:
Rule #1
Don't do a comic for other people, do it for yourself. If you do a comic for other people, you will get sick of it and have no emotional attachment to the stories. Although you may start out doing for yourself, you might eventually feel bored with it but feel bad about stopping. However, I'm not trying to put you off doing a comic.

Rule #2
Make sure you have your plot figured out from start to finish. I would suggest typing it up word-for-word on your laptop/tablet/phone, tweak it until you are completely happy. If you really want to, you can also cross-reference with other comics to make sure your one will stand out.

Rule #3
Have a look at your camera. If it is not good quality, then your comic won't look as good or stand out from others. Looking at your previous pictures, it seems as though you'll be fine in terms of pictures.

Rule #4
Get a decent editing application for your laptop. I can't emphasise how important it is to have the superior dexterity of a mouse compared to a touchpad, which for me, is far more challenging to use than a laptop. In terms of the actual application, I would suggest getting something good-quality, which usually means expensive. However there are free options available that are good quality, but it really doesn't matter what you use so long as it can create high-quality content. One more tip for editing is to practice with the basics before beginning. So speech-bubbles, muzzle-flashes, ect.

Rule #5
Make sure to be yourself and have fun.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Charlie! I have OK effects and a good phone. I do have a laptop but it doesnt have enough to power editing programs. My comic book app should work.

NatoGreavesy wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:16 pm
charliebucket wrote:
Rule #2

I agree Nato. I dont have the time to figure everything. I’ll start with a story and kinda go on from there

Return to “Roleplay & Fanfiction”