[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/mega/pbj/event/main.php on line 80: implode(): Invalid arguments passed
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/mega/pbj/event/main.php on line 81: implode(): Invalid arguments passed
Fig painting tips: - Community

Fig painting tips:

Tips & Tricks
Hey guys, this is just a place to share some tips on painting figs. My tip: don't overdo the paint, it takes away the detail.

Here's one of my tips: If you're painting the new armor system Halo figs, paint one armor piece at a time. Helmet piece, shoulder pieces, and so on and so forth.

Red__Spartan003 wrote:Here's one of my tips: If you're painting the new armor system Halo figs, paint one armor piece at a time. Helmet piece, shoulder pieces, and so on and so forth.
I do the same.

I've been trying to paint some figures for a while (especially the joints) but I don't really know how to stop the paint from coming off. Is there anything you know of that can stop the paint from coming off?

Megablocksrules wrote:I've been trying to paint some figures for a while (especially the joints) but I don't really know how to stop the paint from coming off. Is there anything you know of that can stop the paint from coming off?
If your paint is flaking off at the joints its probably too thick.
When painting by brush you want to use very then coats of paint.
It might take a few coats.

Trying to paint directly on to the figure may also not work very well.
You'll want to have a base coat or white or grey first.

Spray paint works great for base coats it will apply evenly when done right.
You can then use a brush for the details.

Good luck!

It really depends on what type of paint you're using honestly. I've been painting since I was a wee little baby. A type of paint that I've got takes two coats for a good quality paint job and none of the details on any minifigs I have are hidden.

I've experienced the same issue with paint flaking off, particularly at the shoulder and elbow joints.
I now try to match the colour of the joint to the final paint colour of the custom, using the heat and pop method of parts swapping.

For my current project (A Graboid made of mega construx), I need to paint arm pieces a reddish-orange color. I plan on using spray paint, but I'm a bit worried about the arm joints getting too tight. Has anyone who has painted the arms had any trouble with joints getting too tight. How did you go about it? Painting individual pieces, or as they are all together? This is the last step I have, then the Graboid is done. I didn't even need to cover the body with a rubbery substance, I had enough bloks from the Fallen Walker.

I’ve never painted with spray paint. Is that your only option?

Spartanz19 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 9:56 pm
I’ve never painted with spray paint. Is that your only option?
I just think it will give me the thinnest, yet still fullest coverage. If there are better options, I might try them, but I've done acrylic before (For the toes of my Slash custom), but I don't think that would work too well for total coverage. Spray paint has worked well for me before, but I never tried a part with joints.

Return to “Custom builds & Modifications”